Compensation ordered in cop`s death in mishap
Thane: The Motor Accident Claims Tribunal has awarded a compensation of Rs 16.27 lakhs to the wife and four children of a police head constable, who was killed in a road accident in 2004.
Tribunal`s presiding judge M H More ordered the National Insurance Co Ltd and an autorickshaw owner, Babu Gopal Nichite, to jointly bear the compensation amount, which is to be paid to the claimants from Sahapur town of Thane district.
They were also required to pay an interest at the rate of nine per cent per annum on the amount from the date of claim in 2004 till the realisation of the amount, the tribunal at Kalyan ordered on January 15.
The claimants counsel, Pradeep Tillu, told the tribunal that head constable Shravan Bhalerao (43), working with the Thane police constabulary, was riding the pillion on a scooter on July 19, 2004 when an autorickshaw coming from the opposite side hit it. Bhalerao suffered serious injuries and succumbed on July 29, 2004.
The applicants stated before the tribunal that they were dependents of the deceased and they had incurred expenses of Rs 2 lakh on Bhalerao`s medical treatment.
They stated that the accident occurred due to the rash and negligent driving of the autorickshaw driver and the facts and circumstances of the case clearly indicated so.
The applicants told the tribunal that they had been deprived of the source of maintenance, expectations, support, companionship etc, which were provided by the deceased and therefore they claimed a compensation of Rs 15 lakhs.
However, K V Poojari, appearing for the insurance company, contested the claim and said that the accident was the result of contributory negligence of the scooter and the autorickshaw and hence the insurance company was not liable to pay any compensation and the claim was also too high.
The owner of the autorickshaw did not appear and hence the case was decided ex-parte against him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents