Complaint filed against Singhal for objectionable remark
Aurangabad: The City unit of Congress here on Sunday filed a complaint against Vishv Hindu Parishad President Ashok Singhal for making an objectionable statement against Indira Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi.
The local leaders of Congress met the Assistant Commissioner of Police Kamlakar Kisanrao Yelambkar demanding that Singhal should be booked, party sources said.
Police said that they would investigate the matter before registering the case.
Protesting against the controversial statement made by the VHP chief, the Congress activists burnt his effigy here yesterday.
Maharashtra Education Minister Rajendra Darda said, "The statement made by Singhal is tilted towards terrorism. It seems there is a conspiracy to breach the peace in the state. But the people are matured and would not fall prey to these statements."
Coming to the rescue of Singhal, Senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde today said that his statement was misinterpreted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump