‘Complete normalcy at AMU campus top priority’
Aligarh (UP): Former deputy chief of Army Staff Lt Gen (retd) Zameer Uddin Shah on Thursday took over the reins of the Aligarh Muslim University.
After assuming charge as the new Vice Chancellor of the University, Shah said that restoration of complete normalcy at the campus would be his top priority.
"We would be taking immediate steps for protecting academic interest of students and improving their professional prospects," said Shah, who is also a recipient of highest peacetime military award Param Vishisht Seva Medal for his distinguished services.
Born on August 15, 1948 at Sardhana in Meerut, Shah did his schooling from St Joseph`s School, Nainital and joined the National Defence Academy in 1968. He earned Masters Degree in Defence Studies and Management in 1980.
He was appointed the Deputy Chief of Army Staff on October 1, 2006 and held the post till August 30, 2008.
After his retirement, Shah was appointed as a member of Arms Forces` Tribunal.
Shah is the elder brother of veteran thespian Nasiruddin Shah.
The University was without a permanent Vice Chancellor since January 15 after the tenure of Prof PK Abdul Azis ended.
From that date till March 28, the University was run by two acting Vice Chancellors from amongst the senior most Deans of the University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning