Cong-BJP activists clash outside Jaiswal`s residence
Kanpur: At least a dozen activists of BJP and Congress were Sunday injured in a clash which broke out during the main opposition party`s protest outside Union Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal`s residence here over the coal block allocation issue.
Led by party leader Kalraj Mishra, BJP activists marched towards the Pokharpur residence of Jaiswal to stage a protest there over the issue of coal block allocation.
The protesting BJP activists, however, were stopped at a barricade set up by police about 200 metres from Jaiswal`s residence.
Sources claimed the move of BJP activists to paint the posters of Jaiswal in black angered the Congress workers who were present there. After a heated argument, a clash broke out between the workers of both political parties.
Police resorted to mild cane charge after heavy brickbatting from both sides.
"About two dozen BJP members, including party MLA from Govind Nagar Satyadeo Pachauri, were injured in the violence which triggered off on behest of Congress members," party legislator Salil Vishnoi told a news agency.
Few party members have suffered injuries in the head region, he said, adding that even women activists were not spared in the violence.
Earlier in the day, BJP members held a protest in a function attended by Jaiswal at Dadanagar area.
Meanwhile, the security around Jaiswal`s residence has been increased after the clash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire