Cong denied permission for `Nyaya` march in UP
Lucknow: The political battle between Uttar
Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati and Congress escalated on Sunday with authorities refusing permission to the opposition party
to take out a march here tomorrow against the alleged spurt in
crimes in the state.
The District Administration cited the possibility of
breach of peace that could be caused by the planned "Nyaya"
march for its decision.
District Magistrate Anil Kumar Sagar said permission
has been declined as police apprehended breach of peace and
inconvenience to residents due to traffic disruptions.
He said prohibitory orders under Section 144 IPC are
already in force in the state capital.
The Congress slammed the decision saying it reflected
the "fascist" style of functioning of the Mayawati government.
"How can they deny permission for our democratic right
to hold a peaceful march. It is ridiculous," UPCC chief Rita
Bahuguana Joshi said.
Joshi said tonight the Congress has made a fresh
application for permission for the march on the ground that
the party`s previous marches have been peaceful.
She said Congress workers will have a meeting at Bal
Sangrahalaya maidan in Lucknow tomorrow if the permission is
The Administration`s decision came against the backdrop
of the mounting attack by the opposition parties on Mayawati
over the recent rise in rape cases and the mysterious death of
deputy CMO Y S Sachan, a murder suspect, in Lucknow jail.
Mayawati said the opposition was attempting to
destabilize her government by giving political colour to even
the smallest of the matters.
Even some of the people in the media, with a casteist
mentality, were publishing a distorted picture, she said
addressing a rally in Mumbai suburb Goregaon.
"But let me make it clear, that I am not going to get
cowed down by such things," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video