Cong derides BJP for reviving temple issue
New Delhi: BJP`s attempt to revive the Ram
Temple issue and its promise to provide one cow each to every
BPL family in its poll manifesto on Friday drew derisive comments
from the Congress.
"If BJP is giving a cow to the poor, this will definitely
be one, which does not give milk," remarked party spokesperson
Rashid Alvi amid peals of laughter.
Attacking the Opposition party for raking up the Ayodhya
issue again, Alvi said, "Instead of honouring Lord Rama, BJP
is interested in making it an issue".
He said the BJP did not talk at all about the temple
issue when it was in power for six years at the Centre and
also in Uttar Pradesh.
"They remember it whenever elections come. People are not
going to be cheated with such things.
Asked to comment on BJP`s statement that it will scrap
the 4.5 per cent reservation for backward minorities if it
came to power, the Congress spokesperson said, "BJP knows it
is not going to form the government. Even in UP, the BJP is
going to finish fourth. So they can say anything."
Releasing its poll manifesto for Uttar Pradesh in
Lucknow, the BJP said it was committed to remove all hurdles
in the path of construction of Ram temple.
Terming UPA`s decision to give 4.5 per cent reservation
to backward minorities within the 27 per cent OBC quota in
central government jobs and admissions as "motivated by vote
bank politics", the party said when BJP comes to power it
would be scrapped and 27 per cent quota of the OBCs restored.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert