Congress blames BJP for tension in Moradabad
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday blamed BJP for tension in Moradabad in Uttar Pradesh and defended the Samajwadi Party government over police action, saying there was no other option but to take law and order measures.
Party spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi of remaining "silent" while the ruling BJP practices "divisive politics".
Questioning the decision of BJP leaders led by Sardhana MLA Sangeet Som, who is an accused in Muzaffarnagar riots, to hold a `Mahapanchayat` in the area, Singhvi said Som was doing it for "purely electoral purposes".
"Can the country not run without the Mahapanchayat being held? It is like adding fire to the tinderbox. This shows the divisive agenda of BJP. Modi went in silence and no senior BJP leader condemns it. Sangeet Som is doing it for purely election purpose.
What option does one have except to take law and order action to stop such kind of conflagration, provocation and incitement," he said.
Violent protests broke out in Kanth area of Moradabad yesterday over holding a `Mahapanchayat` during which BJP leaders including four MPs and MLA Sangeet Som were detained.
The `mahapanchayat` or gathering was called by the state BJP in defiance of the state order, after a recent tension in Kanth, over removal of a loudspeaker from a temple.
Another Congress leader Rashid Alvi said the dispute was over a very petty matter and it was almost sorted out but some BJP workers "rejected" the agreement between the two communities.
"Even BJP leaders including the local MP had put their signature to the agreement. But it was trashed by BJP workers who resorted to violence," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves