`Congress lost LS polls in UP due to Modi campaign blitzkrieg`
New Delhi: Congress lost Lok Sabha elections in Uttar Pradesh due to the Narendra Modi campaign blitzkrieg coupled with its failure to counter the propaganda on alleged scams and scandals in the UPA-II, the AK Antony committee was told on Tuesday.
The committee, going into the rout of the party in the polls, also saw weak organisation, poor strategy and failure to connect with the masses as reasons for the collapse of Congress in the state which sends 80 members to Lok Sabha.
Only party chief Sonia Gandhi and Vice-President Rahul Gandhi could get elected in the polls, which saw waterloo of many a party veteran, including all Union ministers from the state.
AICC officer bearers putting forth the reasons for the party`s debacle maintained that the central leadership could not be held responsible for the defeat of Union ministers some of whom finished fourth.
Some state leaders told the committee that there was no short-cut for hard work and strengthening the organisation in the state to become relevant nationally.
PCC chief Nirmal Khatri, CLP leader Pradipt Mathur and various state leaders appeared before the committee which is expected to complete its task before the Budget session of Parliament starting on July 7.
The Congress high command has already dissolved the UP Congress Committee as also the district party units as part of plans to revive the organisation.
BJP and its allies have secured as many as 73 of the 80 seats by making deep inroads in the politically important state. This has led to total wipe-out of BSP in Lok Sabha and decimation of Mulayam Singh Yadav`s Samajwadi Party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information