Congress MLAs walk out of UP Assembly over CAG reports
Lucknow: Congress MLAs on Friday staged a walkout from Uttar Pradesh Assembly over CAG reports pointing anomalies in the organisation of Mahakumbh Mela last year and construction of memorials in Lucknow and Noida during the previous BSP regime.
The MLAs demanded a discussion on the issue during the Zero Hour after the questions were over, but Speaker Mata Prasad Pandey said it was not possible as the reports of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) would go to the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of the House.
On this, the MLAs led by their Legislative Party leader Pradeep Mathur walked out of the House for the day.
Mathur later told reporters that Congress demands formation of a joint committee of the House for an inquiry into the shortcomings pointed out by the CAG.
"A BSP member is the chairman of PAC and it raises question whether the committee will be able to give the right report in light of CAG revelations," he said.
He alleged that SP and BSP were hand-in-glove and shielding each others scams.
The CAG in its reports, which were tabled in the Assembly on Tuesday, has pointed out shortcomings in the organisation of Mahakumbh Mela last year by the SP government and construction of parks and memorials during the previous Mayawati regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India