Congress mum on EC step against Khurshid
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday night avoided
commenting on the Election Commission`s letter to President
Pratibha Patil seeking "immediate decisive" action against a
"defiant and aggressive" Law Minister Salman Khurshid for his
remarks on job quotas for minorities.
"We have not gone through the letter written by the EC to
the President. We will get back to you after we go through
it," Congress spokesman Rashid Alvi said here.
"Ask Salman," was the pithy remark of a senior Congress
leader when reached for comments on the poll authority`s
unprecedented step against the Law Minister.
A number of phone calls and text messages to Khurshid
In a letter to the President, the Election Commission
said the defiance by a Union Minister of the Constitutional
body was "unprecedented" and his "improper and unlawful
action" has put a strain on the delicate balance of functions
between Constitutional authorities.
The strongly-worded two-page letter was written to the
President after an emergency meeting of the full Commission in
the wake of Khurshid`s statement earlier in the day that he
would continue to pursue the line on nine per cent sub-quota
for minorities `even if they hang me`.
The EC had earlier censured him for the same statement
made on January 8 while campaigning in Uttar Pradesh
elections, holding that it was violative of the Election Model
Code of Conduct.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog