Congress re-nominates Balmachu for RS polls
Ranchi: Congress on Sunday renominated its PCC president Pradeep Kumar Balmachu as candidate for the Rajya Sabha elections, dismissing the condition of its pre-poll ally Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantric) to field a consensus candidate by the opposition.
"We have decided to field Pradeep Kumar Balmachu once again. He will file his papers tomorrow. We will appeal to JVM and other secular parties to vote for our candidate, who is from Jharkhand," Congress MLA Sarfarz Ahmed told PTI here.
Balmachu had also contested the March 30 RS polls, which were countermanded by Election Commission following allegations of horse trading. Fresh elections will be held on May 3.
Congress went ahead in re-nominating Balmachu even after the JVM-P’s warning that it would stay away from voting if the opposition failed to put up a joint candidate from among persons accomplished in social service or any other distinguished person.
JVM-P’s Principal General Secretary Pradip Yadav had yesterday told AICC leader and Congress in-charge for Jharkhand Affairs Shakeel Ahmed that his JVM-P would stay away from voting if the Congress went ahead with its own choice of candidate.
Congress (13 MLAs) and the JVM (eleven) had fielded Pradeep Kumar Balmachu and Praveen Singh respectively in the cancelled RS elections.
Tomorrow is the last date for filing of nomination for the two seats while scrutiny of papers would be taken up the next day. The last date for withdrawal of papers is April 26. Voting would take place from 9 am to 4 pm, and the result is expected to come out the same evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says