Congress, SP legislators spar in front of Sonia Gandhi
Rae Bareli: Congress and SP legislators were locked in a verbal duel in front of UPA chairperson and local MP Sonia Gandhi at a meeting here on Monday, prompting her to step in to soothe frayed tempers.
At a meeting of the district vigilance and monitoring committee, Congress MLC Dinesh Singh alleged bias in selection of Dr Ram Manohar Lohia villages under a scheme launched by the Samajwadi Party government in Uttar Pradesh.
He alleged Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav was diverting Central funds for the scheme, sources said.
This was strongly objected to by state minister Manoj Pandey who said the discussions should be confined to development issues.
There was no need to indulge in blame-game, he said.
Pandey was joined by two other SP MLAs who threatened to boycott the meeting if remarks against the Chief Minister were not withdrawn leading to heated exchanges between the SP and Congress members, the sources said.
"I denied the allegations of bias in selection of Lohia villages. Whatever villages are selected are backward and lie in Soniaji`s constitutency. My contention is that the name of the Chief minister should not be taken at the meeting," Pandey told PTI.
He said the Congress chief supported his viewpoint and asked the MLC not to engage in verbal duel.
The situation was normalised after Gandhi intervened.
Dinesh Singh was not available for comments.
The members of the committee, which include local MP and legislators, reviewed progress of central schemes like PMGSY, MNREGS and Nirmal Bharat in the district and gave suggestions for their effective implementation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price