Congress, SP legislators spar in front of Sonia Gandhi
Rae Bareli: Congress and SP legislators were locked in a verbal duel in front of UPA chairperson and local MP Sonia Gandhi at a meeting here on Monday, prompting her to step in to soothe frayed tempers.
At a meeting of the district vigilance and monitoring committee, Congress MLC Dinesh Singh alleged bias in selection of Dr Ram Manohar Lohia villages under a scheme launched by the Samajwadi Party government in Uttar Pradesh.
He alleged Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav was diverting Central funds for the scheme, sources said.
This was strongly objected to by state minister Manoj Pandey who said the discussions should be confined to development issues.
There was no need to indulge in blame-game, he said.
Pandey was joined by two other SP MLAs who threatened to boycott the meeting if remarks against the Chief Minister were not withdrawn leading to heated exchanges between the SP and Congress members, the sources said.
"I denied the allegations of bias in selection of Lohia villages. Whatever villages are selected are backward and lie in Soniaji`s constitutency. My contention is that the name of the Chief minister should not be taken at the meeting," Pandey told PTI.
He said the Congress chief supported his viewpoint and asked the MLC not to engage in verbal duel.
The situation was normalised after Gandhi intervened.
Dinesh Singh was not available for comments.
The members of the committee, which include local MP and legislators, reviewed progress of central schemes like PMGSY, MNREGS and Nirmal Bharat in the district and gave suggestions for their effective implementation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA