Congress, SP legislators spar in front of Sonia Gandhi
Rae Bareli: Congress and SP legislators were locked in a verbal duel in front of UPA chairperson and local MP Sonia Gandhi at a meeting here on Monday, prompting her to step in to soothe frayed tempers.
At a meeting of the district vigilance and monitoring committee, Congress MLC Dinesh Singh alleged bias in selection of Dr Ram Manohar Lohia villages under a scheme launched by the Samajwadi Party government in Uttar Pradesh.
He alleged Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav was diverting Central funds for the scheme, sources said.
This was strongly objected to by state minister Manoj Pandey who said the discussions should be confined to development issues.
There was no need to indulge in blame-game, he said.
Pandey was joined by two other SP MLAs who threatened to boycott the meeting if remarks against the Chief Minister were not withdrawn leading to heated exchanges between the SP and Congress members, the sources said.
"I denied the allegations of bias in selection of Lohia villages. Whatever villages are selected are backward and lie in Soniaji`s constitutency. My contention is that the name of the Chief minister should not be taken at the meeting," Pandey told PTI.
He said the Congress chief supported his viewpoint and asked the MLC not to engage in verbal duel.
The situation was normalised after Gandhi intervened.
Dinesh Singh was not available for comments.
The members of the committee, which include local MP and legislators, reviewed progress of central schemes like PMGSY, MNREGS and Nirmal Bharat in the district and gave suggestions for their effective implementation.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures
- Sourav Ganguly bats for Salman Khan, says actor will bring in visibility to Rio Olympics as Indian contingent's Goodwill Ambassador
- Economy may expand by 7.8% in 2017-18: UN report