Congress, SP question allotment of farmhouses to Bhushans
New Delhi: Congress and Samajwadi Party
on Wednesday questioned the allotment of farmhouses to eminent lawyer
Shanti Bhushan and his son Jayant Bhushan in Noida and
suggested that the senior lawyer should withdraw himself from
the Joint Committee to draft the Lokpal Bill.
"We welcome the efforts of Anna Hazare on Lokpal Bill
but they (Bhushans) and their family members will have to
answer the questions that are being raised...This raises
doubts in the mind of common people," Uttar Pradesh Congress
chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi told reporters here.
"If a doubt creeps once in the mind of people that a
particular person does not have a very clean life, such
persons should voluntarily withdraw from this process (of
drafting Lokpal Bill," he said.
Both Shanti Bhushan and his son are part of the
ten-member joint committee that was formed after Hazare`s
agitation for a stronger Lokpal Bill.
She said, "There is no dearth of knowledgeable and
talented lawyers as well as patriots in the country and hence
any other person can be made a member (of the committee."
National Spokesperson of Samajwadi Party Mohan Singh
said that when Shanti Bhushan himself admitted that he had
heard that bribes passed hands for these allotments "then why
did he accept the plots."
"Not only his son but even Shanti Bhushan was allotted
plot. According to him there was no draw for this allotment
and it was done directly. He himself says that bribes passed
hands for it...When the bribe was given as per confession, why
did he accept such a plot," Singh asked.
The parties were reacting to media reports that the
Mayawati government had early this year allotted 10,000 sq
meter farmland to Shanti Bhushan and another similar farmhouse
plot to his son Jayant Bhushan, who had appeared against
Mayawati in the Noida statue park case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...