Congress to hold protests on Saturday over delay in crushing sugar mills
Lucknow: Taking a serious note of the delay in crushing by sugar mills, thus aggravating problems of farmers, Congress today decided to hold state-wide dharnas on Saturday.
"Sugar mills have not yet started crushing proving the collusion between the state government and millers.. Cane is lying in the fields and farmers are either on warpath or committing suicide," UPCC spokesman Dwijendra Tripathi said.
Taking note of these, UPCC president Nirmal Khatri has directed partymen to hold dharnas at all district headquarters tomorrow and highlight the problems of farmers, Tripathi said.
Alleging that state government had betrayed farmers, Tripathi said on one hand sugarcane farmers have still not been paid dues worth Rs 2,350 crore, on the other, mills are working in an arbitrary manner, fixing rates of their choice.
Tripathi said if positive steps were not taken to resolve farmers` problems, a massive protest would be held in Varanasi on December 26 and 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror