Congress to hold protests on Saturday over delay in crushing sugar mills
Lucknow: Taking a serious note of the delay in crushing by sugar mills, thus aggravating problems of farmers, Congress today decided to hold state-wide dharnas on Saturday.
"Sugar mills have not yet started crushing proving the collusion between the state government and millers.. Cane is lying in the fields and farmers are either on warpath or committing suicide," UPCC spokesman Dwijendra Tripathi said.
Taking note of these, UPCC president Nirmal Khatri has directed partymen to hold dharnas at all district headquarters tomorrow and highlight the problems of farmers, Tripathi said.
Alleging that state government had betrayed farmers, Tripathi said on one hand sugarcane farmers have still not been paid dues worth Rs 2,350 crore, on the other, mills are working in an arbitrary manner, fixing rates of their choice.
Tripathi said if positive steps were not taken to resolve farmers` problems, a massive protest would be held in Varanasi on December 26 and 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price