Congress’ UP debacle: Rita Joshi offers to quit
New Delhi: Taking moral responsibility for Congress’ poor performance in Uttar Pradesh elections, state party chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi on Friday offered to resign from her post.
“I take moral responsibility for the loss… analysis will be done on different levels. There was no blanket reason,” Joshi said after meeting with party president Sonia Gandhi today.
On the reasons behind the Congress’ failure, she said, “UP has not come out of SP-BSP syndrome…the belief that if one was to be removed other has to be brought back to power.”
“National president (Sonia Gandhi) asked us to pull up our socks and move ahead,” Joshi further added.
Joshi had earlier blamed infighting within the Congress. She said that there was a "lot of sabotage" at the local level in the party which is in a "crisis" at this moment.
Her remarks came after party MP from Sultanpur, Sanjay Singh complained that neither the party nor several of the candidates from Amethi wanted him to campaign during the polls.
His wife Ameeta Singh lost to an SP candidate in the district where only two of the five seats were won by the Congress. Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi had aggressively campaigned in the Congress pocket borough.
Congress, which had won 22 Assembly seats in 2007, managed to increase it marginally to 28 this time in the 403-member Assembly though it was hoping to improve its tally substantially.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof