Congress’ UP debacle: Rita Joshi offers to quit
New Delhi: Taking moral responsibility for Congress’ poor performance in Uttar Pradesh elections, state party chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi on Friday offered to resign from her post.
“I take moral responsibility for the loss… analysis will be done on different levels. There was no blanket reason,” Joshi said after meeting with party president Sonia Gandhi today.
On the reasons behind the Congress’ failure, she said, “UP has not come out of SP-BSP syndrome…the belief that if one was to be removed other has to be brought back to power.”
“National president (Sonia Gandhi) asked us to pull up our socks and move ahead,” Joshi further added.
Joshi had earlier blamed infighting within the Congress. She said that there was a "lot of sabotage" at the local level in the party which is in a "crisis" at this moment.
Her remarks came after party MP from Sultanpur, Sanjay Singh complained that neither the party nor several of the candidates from Amethi wanted him to campaign during the polls.
His wife Ameeta Singh lost to an SP candidate in the district where only two of the five seats were won by the Congress. Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi had aggressively campaigned in the Congress pocket borough.
Congress, which had won 22 Assembly seats in 2007, managed to increase it marginally to 28 this time in the 403-member Assembly though it was hoping to improve its tally substantially.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview