Congress wants UP govt to give answers on delayed action in Muzaffarnagar
New Delhi: Congress Party leader Jagdambika Pal on Tuesday asked the Uttar Pradesh government to take action against the perpetrators of violence in riot-hit Muzaffarnagar.
Jagadambika Pal alleged , "most certainly, they are roaming free on the streets.....In spite of FIRs being launched against some party politicians, there has still been no questioning."
"The state government must give an answer to this because, first, there has been no action taken against the perpetrators and, second, to why there has still been no action taken after such a big riot," he added.
Pal also criticised the opposition for being critical on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Congress party vice president Rahul Gandhi for their visit to the riot-hit area.
"Look, I understand that after a large-scale riot like this one, there is a feeling of insecurity in the people there because victims are still living outside their homes. ....the central government has to go and assess and advise the state government. That is exactly what the Prime Minister did," Pal said.
"Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi went there to ensure the victims were assured of security and normalcy after the riots," he added.
On Monday evening, ten days after it was imposed, the administration lifted the curfew in the area, saying that the situation was again "peaceful."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what