Congress worker suspended for Sonia, Rahul posters
Allahabad: Embarrassed by posters depicting Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi as `Rani Laxmi Bai` and `Lord Shankar` respectively, the city unit of the Congress has suspended a senior party worker here, charging him with violating "party norms" which rejected "the idea of involving religion for political ends".
According to a statement issued by city Congress president Shyam Krishna Pandey, "Abhay Awasthi Baba, a senior Congress worker" has been suspended "from the primary membership of the party with immediate effect following his indisciplined venture of portraying Congress president Sonia Gandhi and vice president Rahul Gandhi as Rani Laxmi Bai and Lord Shankar respectively in the Kumbh Mela area".
The statement said the disciplinary action had been taken with the approval of party MLA and zonal Congress president Vivek Singh, "who too seriously resented the said violation of party norms."
Vivek "opined that Congress party stands for secularism, socialism and democracy" and "impresses the masses by its policies and programmes and rejects the idea of involving religion for political ends," the statement said.
It said Awasthi was a "habitual offender" who had in the past come up with posters portraying Sonia and Rahul as `Durga` and `Lord Krishna` respectively, "which provided the opposition with a reason to burn their effigies".
The charge against Awasthi "is self-proving, through his statements in the media and display of the posters and hoardings on different news channels and newspapers," the statement said.
Meanwhile, Awasthi has said he had got the posters and hoardings installed "only to raise awareness among the people about the contributions of the Congress" and added that he was ready to apologise if it had caused any problem for the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in