Contempt notices to top brass of magazine
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court today
issued contempt notices to the publisher, top officials and
correspondents of a popular news magazine taking suo motu
notice of an article published in its recent issue wherein
allegations had been made against the Chief Justice of the
The notice was issued by a Division Bench comprising
Justice Imtiyaz Murtaza and Justice Naheed Ara Moonis which
directed the magazine`s Publisher Maheshwar Peri,
Editor-in-Chief Vinod Mehta, Executive Editor Krishna Kumar,
Editor Bishwadeep Moitra and correspondents Sugata
Srinavasaraju, Smruti Koppikar, Chander Suta Dogra, Saikat
Datta and Chandrani Banerjee to appear in person on November
12 next and show cause as to why contempt charges will not be
framed against them.
The court`s move follows an article published in the
magazine`s October 04, 2010 issue wherein allegations had been
made against Chief Justice F I Rebello with reference to the
Taj Corridor case involving Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
When contacted, Mehta expressed surprise at the notice
being issued to the magazine and its editorial staff.
"The Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court had
written to us in this regard and asked us to publish an
explanation. We did carry the letter of the Registrar General
in full in the issue dated October 11. We are very surprised
at the High Court notice," Mehta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Referendums that shaped the world as we know it...
- Our entire defence mechanism is India-specific, says top Pakistani military official
- Honda BR-V crosses 10,000 booking mark
- Magnificent teaser trailer of Harshvardhan Kapoor-Saiyami Kher's 'Mirzya' crosses 2 million views!
- What happens after the Brexit vote – the steps ahead!