Controversy over bungalow shows media`s anti-Dalit mentality: Mayawati
Lucknow: Irked by controversy over allotment of bungalows to her party in Delhi, BSP chief Mayawati on Saturday hit out at media for "wrongly" projecting it as favour from the Centre, saying it reflected their anti-Dalit mentality.
"After a long struggle we got two additional Type-V bungalows as per the rules which were merged to extend Bahujan Prerna Kendra on an area of about one-and-a-half acre of land, but a section of electronic media and some newspapers are showing it as a big news that we have got a big piece of land from the central government," Mayawati told newspersons here.
She said that as the land on which the Kendra was earlier set up was not enough to house all things connected with the memory of BSP founder Kanshi Ram, a request for adjoining two bungalows was made as per rules and they were later made available.
"Earlier too lands were provided for memorials and museums of other leaders, but newspapers and TV channels have not gone after them. This only proves their (media`s) anti-Dalit mentality," she said.
"The expenditure on Bahujan Prerna Kendra in the honour of Kanshi Ram is being made by our trust whereas at other places it has been done on government cost but those having anti-Dalit mentality call it flouting of rules," she said.
Several residential bungalows had been turned into party offices but they were never discussed, the BSP chief said.
The former Chief Minister accused media of making attempts to tarnish her image before the coming elections.
"Some of the newspapers are showing unfounded news about the property of my brothers and sisters although I have nothing to do with it....Whereas nothing of the sort is said in the case of other leaders...If this is not anti-Dalit mentality then what is it," she asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared