Cop beats jeweller to death in Rampur
Lucknow: A police officer has been accused of beating a jeweller to death in Uttar Pradesh`s Rampur district, police said Thursday.
Ram Kumar, 48, died Wednesday after police inspector Amar Singh allegedly repeatedly assaulted him with a wooden stick in Mistanganj locality.
According to police, Singh visited Ram Kumar`s residence in the Mistanganj locality to take the statement of his son, who was accused of hitting a local with his motorbike. On not finding the son, Singh got furious and brutally assaulted Ram Kumar, police said.
After Singh left the place, Ram Kumar was seen lying in a pool of blood and died of injuries before he could be taken to hospital.
"Preliminary inquiry indicates Amar Singh`s involvement in the death," Additional Superintendent of Police Shafeeq Ahmad told reporters in Rampur, some 250 km from Lucknow.
"He has been suspended and a detailed inquiry is under way to ascertain whether other policemen were also involved in assaulting the jeweller," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues