Cop beats jeweller to death in Rampur
Lucknow: A police officer has been accused of beating a jeweller to death in Uttar Pradesh`s Rampur district, police said Thursday.
Ram Kumar, 48, died Wednesday after police inspector Amar Singh allegedly repeatedly assaulted him with a wooden stick in Mistanganj locality.
According to police, Singh visited Ram Kumar`s residence in the Mistanganj locality to take the statement of his son, who was accused of hitting a local with his motorbike. On not finding the son, Singh got furious and brutally assaulted Ram Kumar, police said.
After Singh left the place, Ram Kumar was seen lying in a pool of blood and died of injuries before he could be taken to hospital.
"Preliminary inquiry indicates Amar Singh`s involvement in the death," Additional Superintendent of Police Shafeeq Ahmad told reporters in Rampur, some 250 km from Lucknow.
"He has been suspended and a detailed inquiry is under way to ascertain whether other policemen were also involved in assaulting the jeweller," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH