Cop beats jeweller to death in Rampur
Lucknow: A police officer has been accused of beating a jeweller to death in Uttar Pradesh`s Rampur district, police said Thursday.
Ram Kumar, 48, died Wednesday after police inspector Amar Singh allegedly repeatedly assaulted him with a wooden stick in Mistanganj locality.
According to police, Singh visited Ram Kumar`s residence in the Mistanganj locality to take the statement of his son, who was accused of hitting a local with his motorbike. On not finding the son, Singh got furious and brutally assaulted Ram Kumar, police said.
After Singh left the place, Ram Kumar was seen lying in a pool of blood and died of injuries before he could be taken to hospital.
"Preliminary inquiry indicates Amar Singh`s involvement in the death," Additional Superintendent of Police Shafeeq Ahmad told reporters in Rampur, some 250 km from Lucknow.
"He has been suspended and a detailed inquiry is under way to ascertain whether other policemen were also involved in assaulting the jeweller," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Euro 2016: Poland beat Switzerland in a nail-biting penalty shoot out
- Boxing as good as dead in India, rues Mary Kom
- David Cameron calls on LGBT community to live 'freely'
- Wimbledon: Andy Murray and admirer of `incredibly consistent` Novak Djokovic
- Defence Ministry nod to buy 145 ultra light howitzers from US