Cop shot dead in Allahabad
Lucknow: A police inspector was shot dead by some car-borne assailants in Uttar Pradesh`s Allahabad city, police said on Friday.
Inspector General (Law and Order) RK Vishwakarma told a news agency that Bara police station chief RP Dwivedi was chasing criminals when he was shot dead late Thursday.
An informer had called Dwivedi on his mobile to tell him about some criminals` movement in a car in his area. Soon after speaking to the informer, Dwivedi went alone in his car to chase down the criminals. But they opened fire on the officer on Bargarh Marg, killing him on the spot, a police official said.
A manhunt has been launched to nab the attackers.
Senior police officials admit that cases of attacks on policemen have increased since the Samajwadi Party (SP) government was voted to power in March last year.
Only a few days back, a constable was killed in Bareilly. Earlier this year, a deputy superintendent of police was killed in Balipur village of Kunda region in Pratapgarh. Two more constables were also shot dead in the past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened