Cop shot dead in Allahabad
Lucknow: A police inspector was shot dead by some car-borne assailants in Uttar Pradesh`s Allahabad city, police said on Friday.
Inspector General (Law and Order) RK Vishwakarma told a news agency that Bara police station chief RP Dwivedi was chasing criminals when he was shot dead late Thursday.
An informer had called Dwivedi on his mobile to tell him about some criminals` movement in a car in his area. Soon after speaking to the informer, Dwivedi went alone in his car to chase down the criminals. But they opened fire on the officer on Bargarh Marg, killing him on the spot, a police official said.
A manhunt has been launched to nab the attackers.
Senior police officials admit that cases of attacks on policemen have increased since the Samajwadi Party (SP) government was voted to power in March last year.
Only a few days back, a constable was killed in Bareilly. Earlier this year, a deputy superintendent of police was killed in Balipur village of Kunda region in Pratapgarh. Two more constables were also shot dead in the past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!
- 7th Pay Commission: 23.5% hike in salaries, minimum pay increased to Rs 18,000 per month; arrears to be paid this year
- These MPs may become ministers if PM Modi goes in for Cabinet reshuffle - List Inside
- SHOCKING VIDEO of Pampore attack surfaces online; terrorists can be heard firing indiscriminately - WATCH
- 7th Pay Commission: LIVE streaming of FM Jaitley Cabinet briefing