Cop shot dead in UP, assailant also killed
Lucknow: In yet another brazen act of violence against policemen, an Uttar Pradesh police constable was shot dead late Sunday in Lakhimpur Kheri, about 130 km from here, police said.
The incident took place in a local hotel where the policeman, along with a colleague, arrived to conduct checks after receiving information that criminals were present there.
Superintendent of Police (SP) Dalbeer Singh Yadav told a news agency that the police had received specific information about wanted criminals at a hotel in Sankadadevi area. When the two policemen reached the hotel, they proceeded towards three persons sitting there. The trio opened fire all of a sudden, hitting constable Umesh Kumar in the stomach.
Umesh Kumar was rushed to a trauma centre in Lucknow, where he was declared dead.
Police relayed the information on wireless, and the entire area was sealed off. One of the three assailants was spotted near the railway station and cornered. In the exchange of fire, the assailant was killed.
The two other men who had earlier opened fire at the policemen in the hotel have not been traced.
The man killed in the exchange of fire with the policemen has been identified as Sumit, a resident of Kushinagar. Police said Sumit was a known extortionist.
Saturday, Sumit had demanded money from a doctor in the city. The doctor had filed a police complaint in the matter.
Sumit is wanted in similar cases in Bahraich, Barabanki and Gorakhpur.
In the last one month, two police personnel, including a sub-inspector, were killed in crimes committed in broad daylight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre