Cops arrested for extortion in Lucknow
Lucknow: Three of four policemen of the Special Operations Group (SOG) accused of extorting money from a businessman in Uttar Pradesh have been arrested, police said Wednesday.
Constables Vinod Kumar Yadav, Waqar Ahmad, Anil Tiwari and Manoj Singh were suspended and booked Tuesday in Gonda district following a complaint from businessman Pratap Singh.
Pratap Singh told senior officials that the constables extorted around Rs.1 lakh from him in Mishrelia town, and even threatened to implicate him in a false case if he complained against them.
"While Manoj Singh is absconding, the other three policemen have been arrested after charges against them were found true," Superintendent of Police J. Ravindra Gaur told reporters in Gonda, 200 km from Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Barack Obama has wish about Osama bin Laden`s last moments
- 162 children die in four months in Pakistan's Tharparkar district
- Major blow to Nawaz govt as US asks Pakistan to make ‘full payment’ for F-16 fighter jets
- Death toll from collapsed building in Kenya rises to 22
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala