Cops arrested for extortion in Lucknow
Lucknow: Three of four policemen of the Special Operations Group (SOG) accused of extorting money from a businessman in Uttar Pradesh have been arrested, police said Wednesday.
Constables Vinod Kumar Yadav, Waqar Ahmad, Anil Tiwari and Manoj Singh were suspended and booked Tuesday in Gonda district following a complaint from businessman Pratap Singh.
Pratap Singh told senior officials that the constables extorted around Rs.1 lakh from him in Mishrelia town, and even threatened to implicate him in a false case if he complained against them.
"While Manoj Singh is absconding, the other three policemen have been arrested after charges against them were found true," Superintendent of Police J. Ravindra Gaur told reporters in Gonda, 200 km from Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'