Cops arrested for extortion in Lucknow
Lucknow: Three of four policemen of the Special Operations Group (SOG) accused of extorting money from a businessman in Uttar Pradesh have been arrested, police said Wednesday.
Constables Vinod Kumar Yadav, Waqar Ahmad, Anil Tiwari and Manoj Singh were suspended and booked Tuesday in Gonda district following a complaint from businessman Pratap Singh.
Pratap Singh told senior officials that the constables extorted around Rs.1 lakh from him in Mishrelia town, and even threatened to implicate him in a false case if he complained against them.
"While Manoj Singh is absconding, the other three policemen have been arrested after charges against them were found true," Superintendent of Police J. Ravindra Gaur told reporters in Gonda, 200 km from Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley