Cops begin probe over forged UGC letter received by BHU
Varanasi: A probe has been started into a forged letter received by the Banaras Hindu University (BHU) purportedly sent by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
Based on the University`s complaint on Friday, the police has started a probe into the forged letter which was allegedly sent through a registered post from a post office in Assi locality here, Lanka police station in-charge Abhay Singh said today.
The University had to remove certain information allegedly uploaded on its website, based on the forged letter of the UGC.
"As soon as we came to know about this forged letter of the UGC, the information uploaded on our official website was immediately removed," Chairman of BHU`s Press Publication and Publicity Cell Ravi Pratap Singh said.
The letter had stated that UGC would be keen to give promotion to those employees who have been working for a long time in the University and also mentioned about making some new appointment, Ravi said, adding that the complete content of the letter was not known to him.
The University had wrongly uploaded the information based on the forged letter on its website, in response to which many people applied for promotions and appointments, he said, following which the varsity contacted the UGC.
In its reply to the University, the UGC said that "no such letter sent by them to BHU", and there is no such criteria on the basis of which UGC gives promotion, Ravi said.=
He clarified that no recruitment, selection, appointment or promotion had been made on the basis of this letter in the recent time. Every selection or promotion in BHU has been made on the basis of guidelines drawn by UGC.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah