Cops gun down gangster in Lucknow
Lucknow: A gangster, wanted in over 10 cases including murder and abduction, was gunned down while his three aides managed to escape in the shootout here, police said on Thursday.
Gopal alias Guppan, aged around 30 years, was killed in a shootout late Wednesday in Sarvodaya Nagar locality.
"While carrying out a regular vehicle checking drive, police signalled men on two motorcycles to stop. The men did not stop and started firing at a police team. We retaliated after which Gopal was killed," Deputy Superintendent of Police Gyananjay Singh told reporters.
"However, his associates managed to escape during the operation. Efforts are on to nab them," Singh said.
Three locally made pistols and several cartridges were recovered from the shootout site.
Police said Gopal belonged to Gorakhpur district and carried a reward of Rs 20,000 for his capture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living