Cop`s murder: UP villagers seek CM’s intervention
Pratapgarh: Tension runs high in Balipur village in Uttar Pradesh’s Pratapgarh district where Deputy Superintendent of Police Zia-ul Haq was killed by some unidentified men yesterday, with villagers now demanding immediate action from the state’s Chief Minister in connection with the killing.
Reports, Monday, claimed that hundreds of villagers today encircled the house of the slain cop when some senior UP police officials came to console the family.
The villagers, who shouted slogans and blocked the entrance to village, demanded urgent intervention of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav in the matter.
Protests in the area was reported shortly after Uttar Pradesh Minister Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiya, a key accused in the case, resigned from the state cabinet.
The Food and Civil Supplies Minister was charged with conspiracy to kill Deputy Superintendent of Police Zia-ul Haq.
Haq was killed with two others in Balipur village, over 100 km from Lucknow on Saturday night, during violence that followed the murder of the village head Nanhe Yadav.
Later, Raja Bhaiya and seven of his associates were also booked by the police in connection with the case.
Parveen, the wife of the slain officer, has accused the Minister of conspiring to kill her husband as he was investigating a "sensitive matter".
Zia-ul Haq was first attacked by an angry mob and then shot in the leg and chest from a point blank range, an official said.
The case was registered on Sunday evening after Zia-ul Haq`s family refused to allow his funeral until a case was registered against the controversial minister.
The Minister`s close associates, who have been booked in the case, include panchayat head Gulshan Yadav and driver Rohit Singh. They have been charged with murder.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has announced ex-gratia payment of Rs 20 lakh to the family of the deceased police official and transferred Pratapgarh Superintendent of Police (SP) Anil Rai and posted LR Kumar as the new district police chief.
The incident has created fresh trouble for the Akhilesh Yadav government, which completes a year in office on March 15.
Law and order has become a bane for the state government with a spurt in crime in recent times, even against police officials.
With the State Assembly session under way, political parties today raised the issue in the legislative assembly and slammed the SP government for declining law and order situation in the state.
Congress leader and former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Narayan Dutt Tiwari has blamed "administrative failure" for the "tragic event".
Senior Congress leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi also slammed the government for its "inefficiency" and "lack of administrative acumen" and said such an incident was reflective of the situation in Uttar Pradesh.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof