Cops suspended for beating minor gang-rape victim
Bijnor: In another shocking incident of mistreatment of alleged rape victim,a 16-year-old girl claimed she was beaten up by police personnel when she had gone along with her parents to file complaint against two youths.
Three police personnel -- SHO of Afzalgarh police station Ramji Lal, Sub-Inspector Raj Singh and Lady Constable Sukhraj Kaur -- have been suspended after the incident, police said.
The two rape accused also have been arrested, they said.
The victim from Rasoolpur village had alleged that two youths -- Anis and Rashid -- had gangraped her on April 11.
When she, along with her parents Farooq and Batto, had gone to Afzalgarh police station the next day to lodge a report against them, the police officials had misbehaved with her parents and beat her, the victim had claimed.
Taking note of the incident, SP Sunil Chandra Bajpai reached Afzalgarh police station yesterday and got the FIR registered against the accused, who were also arrested later.
He also ordered suspension of the three police personnel.
This is the second such incident in Uttar Pradesh within 10 days.
A 10-year-old alleged rape victim was put behind bars by women cops in Bulandshahr when she had approached them to file a complaint along with her mother, following which two women constables were suspended.
The Supreme Court yesterday directed the UP government to file response within a week on detention of the 10-year-old rape victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured