Cops throw old couple off moving train in UP, woman dead
Lucknow: In a shocking incident, an elderly woman was killed and her husband wounded when the couple was thrown out of a moving train by government railway police (GRP) personnel for boarding the wrong train, police said Wednesday.
The incident occurred around 10 am at Muzaffarnagar, when the elderly couple, by mistake, boarded the Shatabdi Express. Rajeshwar Tyagi and his wife Santosh were both above 70 years old.
Sub-inspector Ram Chandar and constable Subhash of the GRP asked the couple where they were headed. The couple responded that they were on their way to Saharanpur, only to be told that they were on the Shatabdi Express, which does not halt at Saharanpur.
The cops asked the elderly couple to deboard, something, they pleaded, they could not do as the train had gathered speed by then.
Incensed, the policemen opened the door of the compartment and pushed the old couple out.
The woman was hit by a train moving on a parallel track and died instantly, while the man received minor injuries on the fall.
A case against the two GRP policemen was registered at the Muzaffarnagar railway station.
"We have sent the body of the deceased woman for autopsy. Based on the statement of Rajeshwar Tyagi, we have lodged a case against the two policemen," a GRP official told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!