Corrupt officials should be first jailed: Azam
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Parliamentary and Urban Development Minister Mohd Azam Khan today said that corrupt officials should be first sent to jail and then departmental action against them be initiated.
"I want that suspension should not be taken (done) first. First they should be jailed", Azam told reporters here.
"If such officials are suspended first then they would move court and plead that there could not be double punishment", the minister said.
"If they go to jail and spend 24 hours there they would get suspended as per the rules", he said.
The minister also said that there was large scale scam in the central-state funded multi-crore Rupee toilet project built by the State Urban Development Authority.
"In all those districts where fund was misused or looted only explanation or suspension (of the officials) is not being done but FIRs are being lodged. In Allahabad wherever shortcomings were detected, I first took police action", Azam said.
"In my constituency Rampur, toilets were constructed at a cost of Rs three crore. In reality only those (worth) Rs 2 lakh to Rs 4 lakh may have been constructed and they were not usable", the minister said.
He claimed that the organisation which constructed the toilets belonged to an official. "The wife of the officer, who issued the orders, constructed the fake toilets", he said.
Azam said that under service rules, a government employee, his wife or children cannot do government work by forming an organisation.
He said that a case has been lodged against the chief development officer, project director and SUDA officer and warrants issued for their arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’