Corrupt officials should be first jailed: Azam
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Parliamentary and Urban Development Minister Mohd Azam Khan today said that corrupt officials should be first sent to jail and then departmental action against them be initiated.
"I want that suspension should not be taken (done) first. First they should be jailed", Azam told reporters here.
"If such officials are suspended first then they would move court and plead that there could not be double punishment", the minister said.
"If they go to jail and spend 24 hours there they would get suspended as per the rules", he said.
The minister also said that there was large scale scam in the central-state funded multi-crore Rupee toilet project built by the State Urban Development Authority.
"In all those districts where fund was misused or looted only explanation or suspension (of the officials) is not being done but FIRs are being lodged. In Allahabad wherever shortcomings were detected, I first took police action", Azam said.
"In my constituency Rampur, toilets were constructed at a cost of Rs three crore. In reality only those (worth) Rs 2 lakh to Rs 4 lakh may have been constructed and they were not usable", the minister said.
He claimed that the organisation which constructed the toilets belonged to an official. "The wife of the officer, who issued the orders, constructed the fake toilets", he said.
Azam said that under service rules, a government employee, his wife or children cannot do government work by forming an organisation.
He said that a case has been lodged against the chief development officer, project director and SUDA officer and warrants issued for their arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand