Couple killed in mishap, UP villagers clash with police
Bareilly: A couple was killed when a tanker hit their motorcycle, triggering protests by locals who attacked a policeman.
Police said Chimmanlal (50) and his wife Mohandei (45) were killed in the mishap Wednesday night.
As the news spread, a large number of villagers gathered at the spot.
In the meantime, a rumour spread that policemen had allowed the tanker driver to escape. The villagers then held a demonstration and blocked the Bareilly-Delhi Highway.
When station officer Anil Kumar Sirohi attempted to pacify the agitating villagers, they clashed with him and one of them hit with a lathi.
Later, police resorted to lathicharge to clear the blockade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened