Couple killed in mishap, UP villagers clash with police
Bareilly: A couple was killed when a tanker hit their motorcycle, triggering protests by locals who attacked a policeman.
Police said Chimmanlal (50) and his wife Mohandei (45) were killed in the mishap Wednesday night.
As the news spread, a large number of villagers gathered at the spot.
In the meantime, a rumour spread that policemen had allowed the tanker driver to escape. The villagers then held a demonstration and blocked the Bareilly-Delhi Highway.
When station officer Anil Kumar Sirohi attempted to pacify the agitating villagers, they clashed with him and one of them hit with a lathi.
Later, police resorted to lathicharge to clear the blockade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- France beat Ireland 2-1 to reach Euro 2016 quarter-finals
- SUV chases Gujarat Oppn leader Shankersinh Vaghela's vehicle, nearly hits it
- Srinagar records season's hottest day, heat wave on in Jammu
- Attack on union ministers is 'panic reaction' of BJD: Manohar Parrikar
- Arvind Kejriwal pushing Delhi into constitutional crisis: Delhi BJP