Couple killed in mishap, UP villagers clash with police
Bareilly: A couple was killed when a tanker hit their motorcycle, triggering protests by locals who attacked a policeman.
Police said Chimmanlal (50) and his wife Mohandei (45) were killed in the mishap Wednesday night.
As the news spread, a large number of villagers gathered at the spot.
In the meantime, a rumour spread that policemen had allowed the tanker driver to escape. The villagers then held a demonstration and blocked the Bareilly-Delhi Highway.
When station officer Anil Kumar Sirohi attempted to pacify the agitating villagers, they clashed with him and one of them hit with a lathi.
Later, police resorted to lathicharge to clear the blockade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!