Court records statement in case against Union minister Jaiswal
Kanpur: A local court on monday recorded statement of the woman activist who had filed a petition against Union minister Sriprakash Jaiswal over his alleged sexiest remark during a function here.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate V K Pandey recorded statement of Anita Dua and directed recording of statements of other witnesses on next hearing listed for October 18.
On October 3, Dua had moved the court seeking a case against Jaiswal under Sections 294 (obscene acts and songs) and 500 (punishment for defamation) of the IPC.
"She was directed by the court to appear today with supporting evidence for recording her statement," Dua`s lawyer said.
Addressing a kavi sammelan here recently, when the news of India`s victory over Pakistan in a World Twenty-20 match in Sri Lanka came in, Jaiswal had said, "Like an old victory, wives lose charm as time goes by."
Jaiswal, however, had later claimed his comments were misconstrued and were being taken out of context and that he apologised if they have hurt the sentiments of women.
The remarks had sparked outrage among women organisations which had burnt effigies of the minister in his hometown here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!