Court seeks explanation on why Babloo was produced late
New Delhi: Taking a serious view of the
failure of Uttar Pradesh Jail authorities to produce
underworld don Babloo Srivastava on time, a Delhi court on Saturday
sought explanation from them.
Additional Sessions Judge Shalinder Kaur issued a notice
to Superintendent Jail, Bareilly, where the extradited
gangster is lodged now, asking him to explain why the
authorities failed to produce him on time during the on-going
trial against him in an extortion case.
The court sought a response from the official on September
13, the next date of hearing in the matter, for recording the
statement of witnesses.
The court was prompted to issue the notice as Babloo was
produced before it in the afternoon even though the matter was
put up for hearing at 10 am.
Babloo is brought to the capital from Bareilly jail on
every date of hearing. He is escorted by more than two dozens
police personnel from Uttar Pradesh and almost equal number of
staff from Delhi police, besides the senior officers.
Meanwhile, the court issued bailable warrants to the sum
of Rs 5,000 against prosecution witnesses Delhi police Sub
Inspector Anil Kumar and Inspector Ashok Singh as they failed
to appear before it to record their statements despite
Babloo, who was extradited from Singapore in 1995, is
accused of threatening businessman Sheetal Prasad Singh who
had lodged the FIR against him and others with the Delhi
police`s Special Cell in 2003.
According to the police, the accused had allegedly put
Singh, who was into the business of making high security
registration plates since 2001, in fear of death and forced
him to meet Babloo and another businessman Nitin Shah.
Babloo, along with his three associates Fazlu-ur Rehman,
Pradeep Khurana and Jitender Singh, is facing trial for
allegedly making threatening calls to Singh to extort Rs 25
lakh from him between March 2003 to April 2003.
Khurana and Singh are out on bail while Rehman is lodged
at Tihar jail here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'