Crime against women: HC seeks UP govt`s reply
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court on Wednesday
directed the state government to file its reply within three
weeks on a Public Interest Litigation, seeking directions for
regular monitoring of increasing offences against women in
Uttar Pradesh including rape.
A division bench comprising Justice S S Chauhan and
Justice Vedpal of the Lucknow bench of the high court passed
the order on the PIL filed by an organisation `We the People"
through its general secretary.
The PIL also sought directions to constitute a cell
headed by a lady police officer and issue a helpline number
for immediate information in case of such offences.
The petitioner`s counsel, Prine Lenin told PTI that
the PIL alleges that offences against women are on the rise in
the state and therefore it is essential that an effective
check is put on them.
The PIL was opposed on behalf of the state government
which stressed that some proper steps have already been taken
in this regard.
While providing three week`s time to the state
government to file its reply, the court also gave a week`s
time to the petitioner for filing a rejoinder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price