CRPF trooper shoots self in Ayodhya
Lucknow: A CRPF trooper shot himself dead with his service weapon at the disputed Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid site in Uttar Pradesh`s Ayodhya town, police said Wednesday.
N Rajgopalan from the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), who was positioned in the high security `red zone` of the disputed land in Ayodhya, about 140 km from here, used his AK-47 to kill himself, a police officer said.
Rajgopalan was rushed to a nearby medical facility, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Superintendent of Police (SP) Faizabad Subhash Chand Baghel said: "He shot himself by the service weapon. We are looking into what led him to take such an extreme step."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror