Curfew on in Moradabad, no fresh violence
Lucknow: Curfew continued in several parts of Uttar Pradesh`s Moradabad city Thursday, two days after a communal clash involving Kanwariya pilgrims left around 13 people injured, police said.
"Even as no fresh violence has taken place in any part of the city, we have not yet taken any decision regarding relaxing the curfew," Inspector General of Police M.K. Bashal told IANS on phone from Moradabad, some 250 km from here.
"A decision in this regard could be taken during a high-level meeting with the district authorities to take place today afternoon," he added.
Curfew was clamped in areas under six police stations - Katghar, Galshaheed, Majhola, Kotwali, Nagphani and Mughalpura after violence broke out in Dasarai locality late Tuesday following heated arguments between some Kanwariyas who are Lord Shiva`s devotees and local Muslims.
Members from both communities Tuesday resorted to stone-pelting and fought pitched battles with police. A police outpost in Aslatpur area and several vehicles were also set on fire.
According to police, around 50 people from both the communities have been arrested till now for their alleged involvement in violence.
Tuesday`s violence is linked to a dispute between the two groups Aug 6.
"On that day (Aug 6), Kanwariyas wanted to take out their procession from an undeclared route, while members of the minority community were strictly against it. The Kanwariyas then resorted to arson and vandalism. We believe Tuesday`s communal clash is linked to that incident," said a police officer, who declined to be identified.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark