Curfew on in riot-hit Bareilly, 200 arrested
Lucknow: Curfew continued for a second consecutive day in Bareilly city in Uttar Pradesh Monday even as police said the situation following communal violence was under control.
The administration imposed curfew in Quila, Prem Nagar, Baradari and Kotwali areas Sunday after clashes between Hindus and Muslims owing to the use of loudspeakers during a Janmashtami procession.
After a brief verbal spat, the two sides pelted stones at each other, and attacked and vandalized government property.
All schools and colleges, officials said, will remain closed till further orders.
A total of 205 people have been arrested for breaching curfew, Inspector General of Police Badri Prasad Singh told IANS.
Cases have been lodged against 48 people for rioting, obstructing government work and violence, he added.
A large number of Provincial Armed Constabulary and Rapid Action Force personnel has been deployed in the curfew bound areas.
This is the second time violence has broken out in the district, the last being on July 22. Four policemen have been suspended for alleged dereliction in duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP