Curfew on in riot-hit Bareilly, 200 arrested
Lucknow: Curfew continued for a second consecutive day in Bareilly city in Uttar Pradesh Monday even as police said the situation following communal violence was under control.
The administration imposed curfew in Quila, Prem Nagar, Baradari and Kotwali areas Sunday after clashes between Hindus and Muslims owing to the use of loudspeakers during a Janmashtami procession.
After a brief verbal spat, the two sides pelted stones at each other, and attacked and vandalized government property.
All schools and colleges, officials said, will remain closed till further orders.
A total of 205 people have been arrested for breaching curfew, Inspector General of Police Badri Prasad Singh told IANS.
Cases have been lodged against 48 people for rioting, obstructing government work and violence, he added.
A large number of Provincial Armed Constabulary and Rapid Action Force personnel has been deployed in the curfew bound areas.
This is the second time violence has broken out in the district, the last being on July 22. Four policemen have been suspended for alleged dereliction in duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India