Curfew on in riot-hit Bareilly, 200 arrested
Lucknow: Curfew continued for a second consecutive day in Bareilly city in Uttar Pradesh Monday even as police said the situation following communal violence was under control.
The administration imposed curfew in Quila, Prem Nagar, Baradari and Kotwali areas Sunday after clashes between Hindus and Muslims owing to the use of loudspeakers during a Janmashtami procession.
After a brief verbal spat, the two sides pelted stones at each other, and attacked and vandalized government property.
All schools and colleges, officials said, will remain closed till further orders.
A total of 205 people have been arrested for breaching curfew, Inspector General of Police Badri Prasad Singh told IANS.
Cases have been lodged against 48 people for rioting, obstructing government work and violence, he added.
A large number of Provincial Armed Constabulary and Rapid Action Force personnel has been deployed in the curfew bound areas.
This is the second time violence has broken out in the district, the last being on July 22. Four policemen have been suspended for alleged dereliction in duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test