Curfew relaxed for five hours in violence-hit Saharanpur
Saharanpur: Curfew was Wednesday relaxed for five hours in the violence-hit city as the situation was gradually returning to normal.
"Keeping in view the peaceful situation, curfew has been relaxed for five hours today. If the situation remains stable, then we will relax curfew in the entire district from 10 am to 5 pm tomorrow," Saharanpur District Magistrate Sandhya Tiwari said.
"Today curfew has been relaxed from 8:30 am till 1:30 pm in the new city. People are shopping for daily needs as normalcy was returning to the city," she said.
However, in the old town curfew will be relaxed from 2 pm to 7 pm, she said.
Tiwari said the situation in the district is fast approaching normalcy.
Curfew was clamped on Saturday in the wake of clashes between two communities over a land dispute in which three persons were killed and 34 injured. 165 shops and handcarts and 42 vehicles were set ablaze in the violence.
A total of 22 FIRs have been registered and 76 people have been arrested so far in connection with the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem