Curfew to be relaxed in Saharanpur for 10 hours today
Zee Media Bureau
Saharanpur: Curfew will be relaxed in the violence-hit district for ten hours on Saturday.
District Magistrate Sandhya Tiwari had on Friday announced that the curfew will be relaxed from 9 am to 7 pm in all police station areas on Saturday.
The situation was normal in the district on Friday, when the curfew was relaxed in areas such as Janakpuri, Sadar bazaar, Kotwali Nagar and Qutub Sher for five hours.
A dispute over a piece of land followed by a court order had triggered off violent clashes in the city. Para-military forces were called in to bring back peace and contain violence.
The main accused for instigating clashes here in Uttar Pradesh, which left three people killed and dozens injured, has been arrested along with six of his accomplices.
Moharram Ali allegedly incited a mob to pelt stones and fire at the Sikhs and had opened fire at Sahastra Pal, a constable who is battling for his life in a city hospital.
Danish, Mohd Irshad, Mohd Abid, Mohd Shahid and Haji Mohammed Irfan have also been arrested for inciting and abetting violence. Violent clashes had erupted between the Sikha and Muslims in Saharanpur last week.
Police said the main accused was behind the gherao at the Qutubsher police station when the two sides were talking out the matter related to a land dispute, in the presence of senior police officials.
The mob gathered outside the police station had gone on a rampage, firing at people, burning shops and vehicles and pelting stones.
Moharram Ali alias Pappu has reportedly confessed to inciting the mob.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister