Curfew to be relaxed in Saharanpur for 10 hours today
Zee Media Bureau
Saharanpur: Curfew will be relaxed in the violence-hit district for ten hours on Saturday.
District Magistrate Sandhya Tiwari had on Friday announced that the curfew will be relaxed from 9 am to 7 pm in all police station areas on Saturday.
The situation was normal in the district on Friday, when the curfew was relaxed in areas such as Janakpuri, Sadar bazaar, Kotwali Nagar and Qutub Sher for five hours.
A dispute over a piece of land followed by a court order had triggered off violent clashes in the city. Para-military forces were called in to bring back peace and contain violence.
The main accused for instigating clashes here in Uttar Pradesh, which left three people killed and dozens injured, has been arrested along with six of his accomplices.
Moharram Ali allegedly incited a mob to pelt stones and fire at the Sikhs and had opened fire at Sahastra Pal, a constable who is battling for his life in a city hospital.
Danish, Mohd Irshad, Mohd Abid, Mohd Shahid and Haji Mohammed Irfan have also been arrested for inciting and abetting violence. Violent clashes had erupted between the Sikha and Muslims in Saharanpur last week.
Police said the main accused was behind the gherao at the Qutubsher police station when the two sides were talking out the matter related to a land dispute, in the presence of senior police officials.
The mob gathered outside the police station had gone on a rampage, firing at people, burning shops and vehicles and pelting stones.
Moharram Ali alias Pappu has reportedly confessed to inciting the mob.
(With Agency inputs)
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks