Curfew to be relaxed in Saharanpur for 10 hours today
Zee Media Bureau
Saharanpur: Curfew will be relaxed in the violence-hit district for ten hours on Saturday.
District Magistrate Sandhya Tiwari had on Friday announced that the curfew will be relaxed from 9 am to 7 pm in all police station areas on Saturday.
The situation was normal in the district on Friday, when the curfew was relaxed in areas such as Janakpuri, Sadar bazaar, Kotwali Nagar and Qutub Sher for five hours.
A dispute over a piece of land followed by a court order had triggered off violent clashes in the city. Para-military forces were called in to bring back peace and contain violence.
The main accused for instigating clashes here in Uttar Pradesh, which left three people killed and dozens injured, has been arrested along with six of his accomplices.
Moharram Ali allegedly incited a mob to pelt stones and fire at the Sikhs and had opened fire at Sahastra Pal, a constable who is battling for his life in a city hospital.
Danish, Mohd Irshad, Mohd Abid, Mohd Shahid and Haji Mohammed Irfan have also been arrested for inciting and abetting violence. Violent clashes had erupted between the Sikha and Muslims in Saharanpur last week.
Police said the main accused was behind the gherao at the Qutubsher police station when the two sides were talking out the matter related to a land dispute, in the presence of senior police officials.
The mob gathered outside the police station had gone on a rampage, firing at people, burning shops and vehicles and pelting stones.
Moharram Ali alias Pappu has reportedly confessed to inciting the mob.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Anil Ambani's elder son Jai Anmol joins Reliance Capital board
- Gold price rises by Rs 150 to Rs 31,200 per 10 grams
- Eurozone business activity strong despite Brexit: Survey
- India does not play for rankings, says Virat Kohli
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely