DA case: SC to hear Mayawati`s plea in May
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday decided to hear on May 1 former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati`s plea for quashing of criminal proceedings against her in a disproportionate assets case lodged by the CBI over eight years ago.
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and J Chelameshwar adjourned the hearing after Mayawati`s counsel and her close aide S C Mishra said a full day should be granted for advancing the arguments.
Additional Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran, appearing for the CBI and some others, who are opposing Mayawati`s plea, wanted the hearing to start saying they were ready to argue over the matter.
Mishra, however, said the bench should give priority to the petitioner`s plea and not to those of intervenors, who are contending that Mayawati`s plea was misconceived.
Mishra said the bench should direct the CBI to consider the aspect of order passed by income tax tribunal holding that her income through gifts were genuine. The order had also been upheld by the Delhi High Court, he pointed out.
"When we will hear the matter we will look into all these aspects. What is the need to direct CBI?" the bench said, adding that "at this moment", it was "not expressing anything."
The CBI during earlier hearings had said there was "ample evidence" to show she had amassed wealth disproportionate to her known sources of income.
Mayawati had filed a petition in May 2008 seeking quashing of the criminal proceedings against her in the case alleging it was an act of political vendetta.
She claimed she had received the money through donations from party workers.
The CBI had questioned Mayawati`s assets saying her declared assets of Rs one crore in 2003 had gone up to Rs 50 crore in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch