Dacoit Chanda shot dead in encounter
Lucknow: A dacoit wanted by Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh police in conneciton with many cases was shot dead in an encounter with the Special Task Force here on Wednesday.
"Chandrapal alias Chanda, who was wanted in about 15 cases of abduction, dacoity and illegal confinement, was killed in an encounter with the STF team in Vibhuti Khand area of Gomti Nagar," SSP STF Naveen Arora said.
He said Chanda carried a cash reward of Rs 50,000 on his head.
Initially, Chanda a native of Karvi in Chitrakoot district was associated with Deepak Patel gang but was now a member of Ragia gang, he said.
Arora said that his name figured in the abduction of a tannery owner in Kanpur a few months back.
"The STF, which had specific information that Chanda was planning more abductions in Kanpur and Lucknow, was tracking his movements from the last few months," he said.
A pistol was recovered from his possession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days