Dacoit Chanda shot dead in encounter
Lucknow: A dacoit wanted by Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh police in conneciton with many cases was shot dead in an encounter with the Special Task Force here on Wednesday.
"Chandrapal alias Chanda, who was wanted in about 15 cases of abduction, dacoity and illegal confinement, was killed in an encounter with the STF team in Vibhuti Khand area of Gomti Nagar," SSP STF Naveen Arora said.
He said Chanda carried a cash reward of Rs 50,000 on his head.
Initially, Chanda a native of Karvi in Chitrakoot district was associated with Deepak Patel gang but was now a member of Ragia gang, he said.
Arora said that his name figured in the abduction of a tannery owner in Kanpur a few months back.
"The STF, which had specific information that Chanda was planning more abductions in Kanpur and Lucknow, was tracking his movements from the last few months," he said.
A pistol was recovered from his possession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding