Dailt teenagers accused of theft tied with ropes, dragged
Lucknow: Two Dalit teenagers were assaulted, tied with ropes and then dragged for several meters by a group of villagers in Uttar Pradesh`s Rae Bareli district on charges of stealing a mobile phone kept in a vehicle, police said Monday.
Ajai Nat (15) and Ravishankar Raidas (14), residents of Lachminia village, some 80 km from Lucknow, were accused of stealing a mobile phone Sunday evening from the truck of Balbir Singh, who has a transport business in the village.
When Singh failed to recover the mobile from them, he called three of his associates, and together they beat up the teenagers with wooden sticks and also shaved their heads. Thereafter, both the teenagers were tied with ropes and dragged for several meters in the village.
"We came to know about the incident Sunday night when the father of one of the Dalit boys approached us. We have registered a case against the four people who assaulted them," Senior Sub-inspector Subhash Singh told reporters Monday in Rae Bareli.
"The case is serious in nature. Of the four booked for assaulting the Dalits, we have arrested three. Balbir is still absconding. Efforts are on to nab him," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed