Dalai Lama to visit Kumbh: Maha Bodhi Society
Allahabad: A day after Dalai Lama`s proposed visit to Maha Kumbh here was cancelled for want of security clearance, a Buddhist outfit on Monday claimed the Tibetan spiritual leader will arrive at the congregation Tuesday.
The Dalai Lama will visit Kumbh tomorrow following grant of necessary permission by the Ministry of External Affairs and the Uttar Pradesh government, the Maha Bodhi Society of India said.
"The Maha Bodhi Society of India and various other inter-faith and spiritual groups have been making requests for the permission," B K Modi, former president of the Maha Bodhi Society of India, told reporters here.
Modi, who is also the Chairman of the industrial group Spice Global, said "it is unfortunate the necessary permission for Dalai Lama`s travel to Kumbh could not come in time."
"However, all the permissions are in place today and we expect His Holiness will be here with us at the Maha Kumbh tomorrow," he said.
Modi said the Tibetan spiritual leader will inaugurate his "Global Citizen Forum" which he described as a society comprising "technology innovators, academicians, cultural ambasssadors, social sector leaders and thinkers".
They would take part in programmes for human welfare and empowerment, he said.
"His Holiness has been residing in India for over 50 years now and he still has to obtain permission to travel within India.
"I will appeal to the government to grant Indian citizenship to him," Modi said.
VHP leader Manoj Srivastava said "we do not have any definite information about Dalai Lama`s visit tomorrow."
Yesterday, VHP leader Ashok Singhal had attacked the Centre and the UP government over cancellation of Dalai Lama`s visit.
He had alleged there was a conspiracy behind denial of security clearance to the Tibetan spiritual leader who was scheduled to inaugurate a "Lama Nagar" here.
Besides, the Buddhist leader was scheduled to take part today in a meeting of religious leaders belonging to various sects organised by the VHP.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'