Dalit girl raped, murdered near Lucknow; Opp attacks BSP Govt
Lucknow: Close on the heels of the Banda
rape incident involving a ruling BSP MLA, a teenaged dalit
girl was raped and killed on the outskirts of Lucknow,
prompting the opposition parties to renew their attack on the
The body of Arti, who had gone for sewing classes in
Chinhat area, was found in an agriculture field in Malhaur
yesterday. Though there were injuries on her body, the post
mortem report did not mention rape leading to allegations of
A second post mortem was conducted today which proved
that the girl was raped. "The hymen was ruptured and the girl
died of asphyxiation," Special Director General of Police
Brijlal said, adding a case will be registered against the
doctor, who conducted the first autopsy, on charges of hiding
Samajwadi Party spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary alleged
that "like in the Banda case, there is an effort to save the
real culprits of Arti rape case".
Members of different political parties have been
visiting the victim`s family. Among the first was Congress
MP and chairman of National Commission for Scheduled
Castes P L Punia who took stock of the case yesterday.
"Though the Uttar Pradesh government is being headed
by a Dalit woman, the maximum number of complaints of
atrocities on Dalits-- almost 90 per cent-- are from this
state," Punia said.
A BJP delegation led by the national president of its
Scheduled Castes Morcha, Diwakar, today met Arti`s family and
lashed out at the state government.
"The mother of the deceased who is mentally disturbed
ever since the girl`s body had been recovered is repeatedly
saying that it is a crime to be poor," Diwakar said, adding
that an agitiation would soon be launched in case the
government failed to take action against the real culprits.
An official spokesman, however, rejected opposition
allegations saying that four people have already been detained
in the case.
SP spokesman Chaudhary claimed that family of the
victim has been saying that the four who have been detained
are not the real culprits and "our party workers are exerting
pressure to get the real offenders nabbed".
Arti had left for her sewing classes on Tuesday which
used to be held between 3 PM-5 PM but did not return home.
On Janury 13, BSP MLA Purshottam Dwivedi was arrested
in Banda a month after he allegedly raped a 17-year-old dalit
girl who was later implicated in a false theft case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city