Dalit girl`s continued incarceration outrageous: Cong
New Delhi: Congress on Friday lashed out at the
Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh terming as "outrageous"
the continued incarceration of a Dalit girl in a false case
who was allegedly raped by BSP MLA Purshottam Dwivedi and
demanded strictest punishment for the accused.
"It is absolutely outrageous that the victim is actually
behind bars in a false case and that it took Uttar Pradesh
government so long to even move to arrest the perpetrator,"
party spokesperson Jayanthi Natarajan told reporters at the
Terming the rape incident "an outrage and utterly
condemnable", Natarajan said, "The person who is guilty, after
due proceedure of law, should immediately be punished in
strictest possible terms."
When told that the BSP MLA has accused opposition
parties of implicating him in a false case, Natarajan
dismissively said, "I think it was the police there (which
The accused BSP legislator has threatened to take
revenge on opposition parties accusing them of implicating him
in a false case.
The Congress spokesperson said that the issue of
greater conern is that the "the establishment took so long to
react in this case of a completely helpless young Dalit girl.
I think the administration and establishment should do their
job in the fastest possible manner."
48-year-old Dwivedi, who represents Naraini seat in
Uttar Pradesh Assembly, was on the run after orders for his
arrest were issued yesterday in connection with the alleged
criminal assault on the 17-year-old girl belonging to the
The girl was allegedly raped on December 10-11, 2010,
at the legislators`s residence. She escaped from the MLA`s
house on December 12 when the MLA allegedly attempted rape for
a third time and was arrested the same day on theft charges.
Meanwhile, Uttar Pradesh unit of Congress said it would
move the High Court seeking the release of the girl.
"We will appeal in the High Court to ensure the release
of the girl", PCC President Rita Bahuguna Joshi said in a
statement in Lucknow.
Joshi also demanded enhanced security for Congress`
Banda MLA Vivek Singh who, she said, had highlighted the case
due to which BSP MLA Purshottam Naresh Dwivedi was booked on
the charge of raping her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams