Dalit girl`s continued incarceration outrageous: Cong
New Delhi: Congress on Friday lashed out at the
Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh terming as "outrageous"
the continued incarceration of a Dalit girl in a false case
who was allegedly raped by BSP MLA Purshottam Dwivedi and
demanded strictest punishment for the accused.
"It is absolutely outrageous that the victim is actually
behind bars in a false case and that it took Uttar Pradesh
government so long to even move to arrest the perpetrator,"
party spokesperson Jayanthi Natarajan told reporters at the
Terming the rape incident "an outrage and utterly
condemnable", Natarajan said, "The person who is guilty, after
due proceedure of law, should immediately be punished in
strictest possible terms."
When told that the BSP MLA has accused opposition
parties of implicating him in a false case, Natarajan
dismissively said, "I think it was the police there (which
The accused BSP legislator has threatened to take
revenge on opposition parties accusing them of implicating him
in a false case.
The Congress spokesperson said that the issue of
greater conern is that the "the establishment took so long to
react in this case of a completely helpless young Dalit girl.
I think the administration and establishment should do their
job in the fastest possible manner."
48-year-old Dwivedi, who represents Naraini seat in
Uttar Pradesh Assembly, was on the run after orders for his
arrest were issued yesterday in connection with the alleged
criminal assault on the 17-year-old girl belonging to the
The girl was allegedly raped on December 10-11, 2010,
at the legislators`s residence. She escaped from the MLA`s
house on December 12 when the MLA allegedly attempted rape for
a third time and was arrested the same day on theft charges.
Meanwhile, Uttar Pradesh unit of Congress said it would
move the High Court seeking the release of the girl.
"We will appeal in the High Court to ensure the release
of the girl", PCC President Rita Bahuguna Joshi said in a
statement in Lucknow.
Joshi also demanded enhanced security for Congress`
Banda MLA Vivek Singh who, she said, had highlighted the case
due to which BSP MLA Purshottam Naresh Dwivedi was booked on
the charge of raping her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed