Dalit woman, son humiliated on panchyat`s diktat
Bulandshahr: On a panchyat`s diktat, a dalit woman and her son were allegedly made to sit on a buffalo with their faces blackened and were paraded around a village here for "helping" a woman to elope, police said on Friday.
The panchayat of Jaat-dominated Shujapur village in Shikarpur police station, had blamed Chandrawati (50) and her 18-year-old son Devendra after a married woman eloped with a man from the same village, Senior Superintendent of Police Amitabh Yash said.
It ordered the villagers to parade the duo after blackening their face last evening, the SSP said. A 25-year-old married woman, Shama, who was from the Jat community, had eloped sometime back. However, after a few days she came back and told the villagers that Chandrawati had helped her.
Following the allegations, the village panchayat summoned Chandarwati and Devendra.
The SSP said 23 people have been named in the case and seven of them, including Shama, had been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users