Dalit woman, son humiliated on panchyat`s diktat
Bulandshahr: On a panchyat`s diktat, a dalit woman and her son were allegedly made to sit on a buffalo with their faces blackened and were paraded around a village here for "helping" a woman to elope, police said on Friday.
The panchayat of Jaat-dominated Shujapur village in Shikarpur police station, had blamed Chandrawati (50) and her 18-year-old son Devendra after a married woman eloped with a man from the same village, Senior Superintendent of Police Amitabh Yash said.
It ordered the villagers to parade the duo after blackening their face last evening, the SSP said. A 25-year-old married woman, Shama, who was from the Jat community, had eloped sometime back. However, after a few days she came back and told the villagers that Chandrawati had helped her.
Following the allegations, the village panchayat summoned Chandarwati and Devendra.
The SSP said 23 people have been named in the case and seven of them, including Shama, had been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen