`Dalits still being targetted in Uttar Pradesh`
Lucknow: The National Commission for Scheduled Castes on Sunday rejected the Uttar Pradesh government`s claims of bringing down incidents of violence against Dalits, terming them "baseless and misleading".
The commission`s newly-appointed chairman PL Punia said the state government released figures of only the first six months of this year, and atrocities against Dalits had actually registered a steep rise over the three-and-a-half year rule of Bahujan Samaj Party, according to statistics by National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB).
Punia further accused the government of diverting funds meant for Dalit welfare programmes.
"Construction of four medical colleges at Saharanpur, Azamgarh, Kannauj and Jalaun was being carried out with the diverted money", he said.
Punia said the government`s move of reserving 70 percent of seats in these colleges has been disallowed by the Medical Council of India.
He also gave the state government a deadline to furnish correct details on welfare schemes.
"November 30 is the deadline I have fixed for these details, after which I will convene a hearing with the concerned officials," he said.
Punia, a bureaucrat turned Congress MP from Barabanki, was once part of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati`s inner circle.
He served as the principal secretary to the chief minister twice, but later fell out with her. He switched loyalties to her arch rival Mulayam Singh Yadav, before joining the Congress.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know