Death sentence of two commuted to life in prison
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil has
commuted the death sentence of two murder convicts of Uttar
Pradesh to life in prison.
"The mercy petition of convicts, namely, Sattan and Guddu
of Uttar Pradesh was considered under Article 72 of the
Constitution and their death sentences were commuted to
imprisonment for life for the remainder of their natural
lives," Home Minister P Chidambaram told reporters here on Monday.
Both sattan and Guddu have been on death row since 2009.
They murdered six members of a family and a trial court
sentenced four accused to death.
But the High Court overturned the sentence awarded to two.
In 2009, the Supreme Court upheld the death sentence to Sattan
Asked about the status of the Parliament attack case
convict Afzal Guru, whose mercy petition was also pending
before the President, Chidambaram said, "I can`t share with
you any information about any mercy petition until the
President decides on the mercy petition".
"Whatever decision is taken, it will be shared with you,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali