Declare Valentine`s Day as `Matri Pitri Pujan Diwas`: Asaram
Allahabad: Self-styled godman Asaram, who created furore with his remarks on the Delhi gang-rape, on Wednesday blamed "western culture" for "moral degradation" of the country`s youth, and asked the Uttar Pradesh government to declare Valentine`s Day as "Matri Pitri Pujan Diwas". "The young UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav should take a cue from the government of Chhattisgarh which has, since 2012, started celebrating February 14 as `Matri Pitri Pujan Diwas` so as to inspire the youth to revere and serve their parents.
"It is an example which, if followed, will go a long way in protecting young men and women of the state from the evil influence of western culture," Asaram said at his discourse in the ongoing Maha Kumbh congregation. "Foreign TV channels, which promote promiscuity, have robbed them of their strength of character. As if this much of moral degradation of the country`s youth was not enough, pernicious symbols of western culture like Valentine`s Day are being promoted," he said.
He said that it is the moral duty of the society to guard against evil outside influences and it is the solemn duty of saints and men of God to establish noble traditions which lead to the moral uplift of the common people.
Asaram also blamed western culture for moral degradation of the country`s youth.
Asaram, who has remained embroiled in numerous controversies over the past one decade, had recently drawn flak from various quarters for saying that the 23-year-old paramedic student, who recently succumbed to her injuries days after being gang-raped inside a bus, could have saved herself by pleading for mercy before the assailants.
On Tuesday, he had claimed during his discourse at the Kumbh ground that he had been "quoted out of context" and announced a reward of Rs 50 lakh to anybody who could prove that he had blamed the rape victim for the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!