Decline in central assistance cause of serious con
New Delhi: Terming the decline in central assistance to states as a cause of "serious concern", Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Thursday asked the Centre to discourage the practice of not taking state governments on board while finalising sectoral distributions.
He also said that the already scarce resources of the states were getting further constricted by the provisions of a law which restricts borrowing limits.
"...The sectoral distribution without consultation with the state government should be discouraged...While in the 12th Five-Year Plan, there has been an increase in the gross budgetary support, the central assistance to the states has declined from 26.52 per cent in the 11th Plan to 24.04 per cent in the 12th Plan," he said.
Addressing the 57th National Development Council (NDC) meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here, Yadav said the decline in central assistance would adversely affect the developmental programmes of the states. "This is a cause of serious concern," he said.
Referring to the Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Act, 2003, the UP Chief Minister said the law has fixed the borrowing limits as well as the gross state domestic product of the states.
"Infringement of this target by the central government does not adversely affect their resources. We suggest that to mobilise additional resources, similar flexibility should be granted to state governments," he said.
In his maiden speech at NDC, Yadav, who was elected Chief Minister earlier this year, demanded central assistance for various schemes of the states to improve irrigation, agricultural produce and infrastructure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt