Defamation suit filed against Varun Gandhi
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party leader and member of parliament Varun Gandhi has been dragged to court by VM Singh, his uncle and Congress candidate from Uttar Pradesh`s Pilibhit constituency in 2009 general elections, alleging defamation.
Singh filed a defamation suit against Gandhi in the Delhi High Court last week.
Justice JR Midha while taking up the matter objected to the delay in filing the defamation suit but issued notice to Gandhi and asked him to file his reply by July 28.
Singh in his petition stated various instances wherein Gandhi used defamatory language against him during the election campaign.
Singh, who was among the wealthiest candidates in the election, was pitted by the Congress against his own nephew Gandhi.
The petitioner is a first cousin of the sitting MP`s mother and former union minister of state Maneka Gandhi.
The election in Pilibhit witnessed a controversy during the campaign due to Gandhi`s hate speeches against Muslims. He was jailed by the Uttar Pradesh government and charged under the National Security Act for the speeches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand