Defamation suit filed against Varun Gandhi
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party leader and member of parliament Varun Gandhi has been dragged to court by VM Singh, his uncle and Congress candidate from Uttar Pradesh`s Pilibhit constituency in 2009 general elections, alleging defamation.
Singh filed a defamation suit against Gandhi in the Delhi High Court last week.
Justice JR Midha while taking up the matter objected to the delay in filing the defamation suit but issued notice to Gandhi and asked him to file his reply by July 28.
Singh in his petition stated various instances wherein Gandhi used defamatory language against him during the election campaign.
Singh, who was among the wealthiest candidates in the election, was pitted by the Congress against his own nephew Gandhi.
The petitioner is a first cousin of the sitting MP`s mother and former union minister of state Maneka Gandhi.
The election in Pilibhit witnessed a controversy during the campaign due to Gandhi`s hate speeches against Muslims. He was jailed by the Uttar Pradesh government and charged under the National Security Act for the speeches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi